The Rural Ontario Municipal Association (ROMA) is the rural arm of the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO). The association is an integral part of AMO and a number of its Executive Members serve on the AMO Board of Directors. Policy, research and advocacy activities are undertaken by ROMA through AMO. Matters which affect rural communities are brought to the attention of the provincial and federal governments, and include, for example:
- The Rural and Northern Plan, that deals with actions that can strengthen these communities and their place in Ontario’s economy
- Infrastructure investment
- Affordable rural drinking water systems
- Nutrient management regulations affecting both the farm community and municipal environmental planning, minimum distance separation and biosolids
- Support for federal fairness to Ontario
ROMA takes pride in promoting, supporting and enhancing strong and effective rural governments. Leadership is provided by the Chair and the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee meets approximately eight times a year at the AMO offices in Toronto.
The Rural Executive members, along with AMO and Association staff, value and respect:
- Rural municipal government, the rural lifestyle, and the diversity of interests within rural municipalities
- The autonomy of rural municipalities
- Fairness and equity for rural municipalities
- Consultation and cooperation with member municipalities
The Rural Executive undertakes a range of activities on behalf of its membership:
- Develops policy positions and reports on issues having an impact on, and of interest to rural municipalities in particular
- Represents and expresses the rural municipal viewpoint within AMO and to other levels of government and authorities
- Represents the rural municipalities in intergovernmental discussions and negotiations
- Informs rural municipal governments, the media and the public on municipal issues.
NOTE: Every attempt has been made to make ROMA Annual Report accessible. Financial statements are provided by a third party and are not AODA compliant. If you require a fully accessible document please contact ROMA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.971.9856.